Friday, May 15, 2009

OPEN

I'm sitting in a booth by the window. Most of the lunch-hour crowd is gone. Only a few of us remain, scattered through the diner. I hear Ev talking to someone in the booth right behind me.

EV: Not much going for him...But then, hey, look at me. I'm no prize either and I know it...Joey's nice, I guess. He's always been nice to me...And quiet. I like that. He doesn't say much, but whenever he does say something, he makes me laugh...So why not...I don't have anybody else. Anyone but you...You know what I mean...That's different. We're best friends. Friends are great. Especially best friends, like you. But they're not lovers...

There's something about the conversation that bothers me. I get up, head for the counter.

EV (cont.): I'm talking about growing to love somebody...Somebody nice...Someone who can get me out of here...

At the counter, I turn right, walk toward the hallway to the kitchen. I look back. Ev is dressed like she's going to church. She's still talking. And there's nobody across from her.