Friday, April 10, 2009

BRIDEY'S

Bridey's All-Night Diner is located at 1401 Church Street in Wellesport, CT. It has been in continuous operation there since 1946. Nothing inside has changed since it opened. Bridey's overlooks the mouth of the Thames River. From the sidewalk, you can see the Gold Star Memorial Bridge, part of the train bridge underneath it, the New London skyline and bits of Long Island Sound.

I rent a room across the street, on the second floor of the Riverview Hotel, kitty-corner to the entrance. Although I have a place to crash, I am a bum. I live off anyone and anything I can. When I'm not sleeping, or wondering why I can't sleep, I hang out at Bridey's. Sometimes they pay me for helping out. Sometimes I pay them for the food I eat. While I'm over there, I hear people talking...