Saturday, April 11, 2009

SOMEWHERE ELSE

Joey and Ev sit in a booth at the front of the diner. They are in the corner farthest from the door, to the left as you go in, last booth along the window. Ev sits with her back to the door, one leg bent with her foot on the seat. Joey is slumped across from her. They each have a chocolate milkshake and are sharing a plate of fries. It's a bright, cloudy day. Too much sun comes in the window.

Joey is a young man who lives with his parents on Market Street. He doesn't have anything going for him, but always seems busy nevertheless. He comes in with a different party every time. His clothes are fancy, loose and out-of-date, like he was dressed for the casket by a stranger.

Ev is a couple years older, maybe twenty-five. She has an apartment on Bridge Street. Ev's in and out of Norwich State, but nobody knows what's wrong with her. She wears a hooded sweatshirt, jeans and canvas sneakers. Even if she was standing alone in the middle of an empty parking lot, she'd look like she was trying to hide.

They don't say much and then fall into silence.

Joey nods off for a second.

JOEY (to himself): I thought heaven would be softer. (Ev laughs, raises a hand to cover her mouth. Joey's head snaps up. He looks around.) Who's there? Is someone there? (Ev continues to watch him from deep inside her hood.) Ev?

EV: Who else?

JOEY: Where are we?

EV (playfully): I don't know. Why? Don't you remember?

JOEY: If I could, would I be askin' you?

EV: Guess not. (She lowers her hand.) Does it matter?

JOEY: Not really.

Joey picks up a french fry, but doesn't eat it. He looks out the window. Ev leans forward, peeking out of her hood.

EV: Something wrong?

JOEY: Yeah, it does.

EV: Huh?

JOEY (tossing the fry back): It does matter.

EV: What are you talking about?

Joey takes his head in his hands, closes his eyes. Ev leans closer.

JOEY: I hate this place.

EV: What place? You don't even know where we are.

JOEY (louder, opening his hands): I hate this fuckin' city.

EV: Come on, Jo...

JOEY: I'm serious. I've had it. I'm gettin' the hell outta here.

EV: Where are you going? Everywhere's the same.

JOEY: No, it's not.

EV: Everywhere I've ever been.

Ev sits back in her seat. She looks hurt by his words, his sudden change of mood. Joey seems to soften as he watches her.

JOEY: I went to stay with my aunt once. My mother's sister, Pearl. Not her real sister. Her step-sister or whatever. Anyway, she lived in this little house on the beach...

EV: A cabana?

JOEY: No. A little house, like I said.

EV: Oh.

JOEY: I stayed there for a whole summer once, after fourth or fifth grade. School vacation. Man, that place was beautiful.

Ev is touched, moved almost to tears, not just by what he said, but because he has shared it with her--even if she doesn't quite believe him.

EV: What was it called?

Long pause.

JOEY (smiling): Summerland.